CheapOair

Wednesday 27 April 2016

A photographic portrait of Chiune Sugihara.
CHIUNE SUGIHARA
The real man hero

Thanked KLIPS for having me and my man to review on the special movie at the GSC 1 Utama on the day.

Based on a true story.

Who is Sugihara? 
He is Chiune Sugihara. He was born on 1st January 1900, a Japanese diplomat who served as Vice-Consul for the Empire of Japan in Lithuania.

Sugihara with his wife, Yukiko
During World War II, he helped 6,000 Jews to leave the country by issuing transit visas so that they could travel to Japanese territory, risking his career and his family's lives.

The Jews who escaped were refugees from German-occupied Western Poland or Russian-occupied Eastern Poland, as well as residents of Lithuania. 

Sugihara had told the refugees to call him 'Sempo', the Sino-Japanese reading of the characters in his given name, discovering it was much easier for Western people to pronounce. 

1940 issued visa by consul Sugihara in Lithuania, showing a journey taken thrrough the Soviet Union, Tsuruga and Curacao
 The Jews people
He has wrote for many hundred thousand of people until he has left for Romania from Lithuania.

Before his departed, he said "Please forgive me. I cannot write anymore. I wish you the best." 
When he bowed deeply to the people before him, someone exclaimed, "Sugihara, We'll never forget you. I'll surely see you again!"

The refugees has arrived to Japan, they all were so glad to be free from The Holocaust. They sung a song that touched my heart cry. 

Later on, one of the refugees has finally met him in person after so many years. It was a happy thing for Sugihara.

His word.
Do you want to know about my motivation, don't you?
It is the kind of sentiments anyone would have when he actually sees refugees face to face, begging with tears in their eyes. He just cannot help but sympathize with them. Among the refugees were the elderly and women. They were so desperate that they went so far to kiss my shoes. Yes, I actually witnessed such scenes with my own eyes. Also, I felt at the time, that the Japanese government did not have any uniform opinion in Tokyo. Some Japanese military leaders were just scared because of the pressure from the Nazis; while other officials in the Home Ministry were simply ambivalent.

People in Tokyo were not united. I felt it silly to deal with them. So I made up my mind not to wait for their reply. I knew that somebody would surely complain about me in the future. But, I myself thought this would be the right thing to do. There is nothing wrong in saving many people's lives...The spirit of humanity, philanthropy..neighborly friendship.. with this spirit, I ventured to do what I did, confronting this most difficult situation--and because of this reason, I went ahead with redoubled courage.

He has had died on 31st July 1986.

I was so overwhelmed on his action. He has a big heart. It is a good story that we should learn from him. And it is so interesting to know the history we do not live in the world war II. 

Around 40,000 descendants of the Jewish refugees are alive today because of his actions. 
In 1985, Israel named him to the Righteous Among the Nations for his actions, the only Japanese national to be so honored. 

Sugihara Street in Kanunas and Vilnius, Lithuania.
Sugihara Street in Tel Aviv, Isarel.

The Chiune Sugihara Memorial Museum in the town of Yaotsu (his birthplace), Gifu Pefecture, in central Japan was built by the people of the town in his honor.


Please click this link below to read more